Eastminster Presbyterian Church began as a church plant of Westminster Presbyterian Church, Grand Rapids. Beginning in 1952, Westminster sought to establish a new church on the southeast side of the city. Purchase of property for the new congregation was approved by Westminster’s session on November 14, 1952 at a cost of $5,600. Outreach began in the neighborhood and a meeting was held at Breton Downs Elementary School for those expressing interest in becoming a part of this new congregation.
In the spring of 1952, the first worship service was held in the American Legion Hall on the corner of Breton and Burton streets, and later that fall the congregation was officially organized and chartered.
The summer of 1953 brought the first installed and founding pastor, Rev. Edward Brigham and worship services were now being held at Mulick Park Elementary school. An organ was purchased in January 1954 through a generous donation. That spring, approval was granted to secure a mortgage and build a sanctuary. Groundbreaking occurred on May 23, 1954. According to church records, many “dignitaries” were present and Rev. Brigham composed a hymn for this special occasion.
The congregation has continued to worship and glorify God in this same location as we seek to follow the Way of Jesus Christ and serve God’s people in this neighborhood and community as well as around the world.
Want to worship with us?
Have questions about visiting Eastminster? Reach out and we can answer your questions.